If you know me, you know I love to eat snacks. There is nothing like a little indulgence in the heat of summer especially, when it’s cold homemade banana ice cream.
This is an old school snack from the streets of Vietnam. This cute little banana ice cream is mixed with goodies such as shredded coconut, dipped in coconut/yogurt mixture. Then you spice things up with topping like sweet jackfruit and crunchy peanuts.
This banana jack-fruit ice cream is brought to you by my beloved childhood friend aka sister in law Jojo. Isn’t she lovely!
I’m so fortunate to have my chef sister in law re-inventing my childhood dessert that I adore so I can have endless of banana ice cream.
You don’t have go extravaganza with the toppings and shredded coconut, just the plain main ingredients would make this dessert special.
- 14 riped apple bananas
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup jack-fruit (cut into strips)
- ½ cup condense milk
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup crushed peanuts
- 1 cup frozen shredded coconut (boiled and drained)
- 1 small can yogurt
- pinch of salt
- Ziploc bags
- Cook the shredded coconut according to package instruction
- In a small saucepan over high heat, place coconut milk, condense and whole milk, salt together and stir until all dissolved. When it starts to boil, turn off and remove from stove. Transfer it to a medium bowl, add in the yogurt and mix well.
- To assemble banana ice cream, use the side of a butcher knife or a small chopping board to press the banana down. Dip the banana into the coconut mixture and transfer to a plate. Make sure the banana is well coated with coconut mixture.
- Place some jack-fruit on top of the banana, follow by shredded coconut and crushed peanuts.
- Use a spatula to scoop the banana and place in Ziploc bags or food wrap. Be careful not to break the bananas.
- Freeze the bananas for about 3 hours or until firm before servings
- • Note: Regular bananas can also be used in this recipe
- • You can find frozen shredded coconut at international market in freezer section)