Three short phrases to describe today’s recipe:
Ridiculously easy, and
Sort of healthy
Sometimes, simplicity is everything. We purchased a fancy toy kitchen set with stoves, cabinets, pots and the whole nine yard for my baby girl Alexis, but instead she enjoys going through my cabinets for the real pots. I guess we can say she’s a chef-in-training.
How’s everyone doing with a short week? When I found out that I only had to work 3 days this week, I immediately have tons of plans on my mind. One of those plans is making simple meal plans for the week.
Being a big tofu fan, there’s nothing more satisfying to my empty stomach than a simple and healthy tofu dish served with rice.
I made this General Tso’s tofu served over rice for lunch and it was delish! I even saved some to pack for lunch the next day.
The tofu first are rolled in a layer of cornstarch, fried to crispy golden perfection, and then toss with a sweet and tangy General Tso’s sauce.
You’ll love this simple dish because it’s quick, satisfying and full of exotic general tso’s flavors.
Have a tofulicious long weekend!
- 1 package of firm tofu (19 oz) (cut into 2 inches pieces)
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ cup less sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon spicy jam (optional - I used Trader Joe's spicy Jam)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch + 1 tablespoon water
- chopped scallions for topping
- Begin pressing the tofu by placing a layer of paper towels onto a plate
- Place the tofu blocks on the paper towels
- Put another layer of paper towels on top of the tofu and set something heavy on top, like a chopping board to weight down the tofu
- Place cornstarch and tofu pieces into a large zip lock bag. Shake well to coat the tofu pieces evenly
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan over medium high heat, fry the tofu until golden brown on both sides
- Transfer fried tofu on to a plate lined with paper towels
- Whisk all sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside
- In another pan or wok over medium high heat, add in 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil. Add in the sauce. Then slowly add in the cornstarch water mixture. Let simmer until sauce thickens. Season according to your taste
- Toss in the fried tofu pieces and stir well to combine evenly with the sauce
- Sprinkles scallions over the tofu. Serve over rice