Have you been to one of those international supermarkets? They differ from your regular grocery stores because they have a variety of spices/food/produces from around the world (hence international!). Although some international supermarkets can be messy and cramped, it’s one of my happiest places and I can get completely immersed in the experience.
I’m super excited to try a new international market place that just opened near my neighborhood. I think I’m in big trouble because just last week the hubby reminded me to stay on budget with my groceries spending. This has proven to be challenging with the new supermarket opening and having several supermarkets within arm’s length from my workplace.
Like a kid in a candy store, I wandered around the new supermarket with a dollar sign clouds over my head trying to keep me budget conscience. All my wandering led to the seafood section, and I spontaneously went for the mussels. I immediately thought of grilled mussels with onions, another quick appetizer that I’ve probably seen my sister in law prepare a couple times.
This simple grilled mussel is so quick and easy to make it might just turn into your go-to appetizer. It’s a simple four step process: Wash, grill, mix sauce, sprinkle and done.
The grilled mussels have kick of oyster and fish sauce, and drizzles of green onions, pearl onions, and peanuts. I think it was worth going over budget for!
Until next time, let’s wash, grill, mix and sprinkle!!
- 1 lb greenshell mussels
- 2 tablespoon butter (melted)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon beef stock powder (or salt)
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon tapioca starch
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- For garnish: 1 cup scallions (chopped), fried red onions, peanuts and lime wedges
- Place the mussels in a basin filled with water and pinch of salt. Wash thoroughly
- Transfer the mussels to the baking tray. Drizzle melted butter evenly using a brush. Grilled in oven at 375oF for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine water, sugar, fish sauce, beef stock, oyster sauce and tapioca starch. Stir well.
- In a small saucepan, heat the vegetable oil and add the oyster sauce mixture. Simmer for a couple minutes until sauce is thickened.
- Take the mussels out from the oven and brush sauce on each mussels. Grill for an additional 5 minutes
- Return to the small sauce pan and heat ½ teaspoon vegetable oil. Now add in the scallions and a pinch of salt. Fry for about 30 seconds. Turn off heat
- Garnish the mussels with some scallions, fried red onion, peanuts and lime wedges