Time flies when you’re having fun but when you’re busy and it can seem like you’re just going through motions every day, like you’re a part of an assembly line, performing the same motion over and over. Time becomes an untracked item and can get lost. This is why I think changes can be positive and a catalyst for momentum in your life. This past year I became pregnant and gave birth to our first child, Alexis. I have also begun food blogging the past few months. So, time has definitely sneaked by but the moments with Alexis and our family last forever.
I didn’t mean to get so deep there, wanted to point how we’re reaching March 2016 already! By now, we all probably have forgotten about our New Year’s resolutions. I intend to keep mine! One of my goals is to use my slow cooker more often.
I’m super thrilled to share with you this meatball recipe. These heavenly round shaped combinations of chicken and pork are soaked into an ocean of appealing pineapple teriyaki sauce. These buddies are settled in together in the crockpot for 3 hours before migrating to the serving plate.
Now let’s talk about the sauce! The tangy, sweet teriyaki sauce is the key: a combination of crushed pineapple, ginger, soy sauce and wine rice vinegar. This mouthwatering sauce is so rich in flavor that after it thickens in the crockpot for a while, its bursting flavors are so tempting. They can be served as appetizer, with pastas or rice. The possibilities are endless.
One New Year’s resolution checked off from the list, many more to go!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 tablespoon ginger (shredded)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- For the teriyaki sauce:
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoon of shredded ginger
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup of crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoon oil (for frying)
- In a bowl, mix the ground beef, ground pork, ginger, garlic powder, salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon olive oil, bread crumbs & soy sauce. Shape the mixture into 22 meatballs.
- For the teriyaki sauce, whisk together water, rice vinegar, honey,hoisin sauce, cornstarch, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and crushed pineapple.
- In a sauce pan under medium heat, add 2 tablespoon of oil and fry the meatballs until brown, approximately 3 minutes each side.
- Place the meat balls in the slow cooker and pour the teriyaki sauce over.
- Set the slow cooker on high, cover and cook for 3 hours.
- During the cooking process, give the meatballs a stir to ensure all sides of meatballs are cover with sauce.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.
- Serve over rice, spaghetti or as an appetizer.