This curry is inspired by my beloved former work sister “Kim”, my Thai food partner in crime!
We don’t work together anymore, but that Thai food spree was good while it lasted!
The Thai restaurant in between our work had become our “meeting place,” we would sit there and enjoy endless conversations over Thai food. I’ve always been a curry fan but I was a little hesitant in ordering curry from the restaurant. I’m a little picky about how coconut milk is used in curry so I had always been ordering my safe portions of noodles like Pad Thai.
I revisited by old friend for commit another heist at the Thai restaurant, but this time, I took a risk and got the curry. I should have used my better judgement because the vegetables were still raw and the curry wasn’t just right.
And so my own Thai curry was born. Thien is not a huge fan of curry so I don’t really cook curry at home often. He is totally missing out on good food. But it’s ok because that means more for me!
It’s hard to talk about this curry dish while your mouth is still watering from looking at these pictures.
This is not your traditional Thai curry at the restaurants because I use sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes just make everything more appetizing don’t you think? Then you throw in some veggies such as green beans, red peppers to get all the rainbow colors going. Added some basil loving and some coconut milk and you’ll have luscious Thai curry in no time.
I used chicken breast for this recipe but you can substitute with tofu if you are a vegetarian.
Now, go stuff your faces with this criminally delicious dish all week long.
Thanks for the inspiration Chi Kim!
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoon green curry paste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- 16 oz chicken breast (cut into bite site pieces)
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 6oz, cubed)
- 1 red pepper (seeds removed and cut into strips)
- 1 cup green beans (chopped)
- Some basil leaves (10-15 leaves
- Because sweet potatoes take longer to cook, we boiled them first.
- Place some water in a small pot over medium heat and boil the sweet potatoes until half cooked, approximately 5 minutes. Don’t overcook. Drain and set aside
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat, add garlic and curry paste until fragrant. Add in chicken pieces until combine well with curry paste
- Sauté the chicken with fish sauce and sugar and stir well
- Add in coconut milk, water and bring it to a boil.
- Add in green beans and red pepper, basil leaves and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in sweet potatoes and simmer for another 5 minutes until soften.
- Transfer to serving bowl and squeeze some lemon juice on top.
- Serve over rice